Friday, April 3, 2009

Faith No More - Angel Dust


I first heard Faith No More on the hit "Epic," which sounded to me like a harder-rock, slightly evil Red Hot Chili Peppers song. I got "Angel Dust" as soon as the opportunity struck, even though "Epic" is from an earlier album. This is one of my favorite hard-rock albums. It blends heavy-metal guitars with funk bass, creepy lyrics and a lot of choruses that are as weird as they are catchy. Mike Patton's singing, as always, goes everywhere from deep metal growls to syrupy lounge leering, and this is probably the most listenable of all his projects, with the creepiness lurking somewhere in the background instead of bashing you over the head. I know that calling anything "the most listenable Mike Patton project" isn't really saying much, but trust me. "Midlife Crisis" is especially amazing, and its breakdown contains the same (at least I think) sample as the opening of the Beastie Boys' "Car Thief," a fabulous falling rhythmic sweep. "Be Aggressive" is weird as hell, with "I swallow, I swallow" repeated over and over again and a bunch of boy scouts spelling out the chorus like it's a flag-raising chant.

No comments: